Vice President, Project Development
April 20, 2012
The Vice President, Project Development will join the Business Development team responsible for driving and executing on the Company’s strategy and ambitious growth plans. The Business Development team works to understand short, medium and long term market opportunities to support the development of Plasco’s project pipeline. Prospects are qualified and key data is gathered to justify whether a prospect is viable. From the qualifications stage, projects are identified and developed.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Business Development, the successful candidate will develop and execute plans for Plasco’s commercial growth. This mandate will include all aspects of project development including securing financeable waste supply agreements, power purchase agreements with local utilities, sites and ensuring that the projects move successfully through to financial close.
This position is based in Ottawa, Canada
- Identify and develop municipal opportunities through engagement with elected officials and staff at all levels of government. This includes negotiating and closing waste supply agreements that meet Plasco’s minimum rates of return and the identifying and securing acceptable project site locations.
- Engage with local utilities to structure and close power purchase agreements for the sale of electricity and environmental attributes
- Work collaboratively with the Vice President of Project Finance to identify local financing sources; commercial banks, green development banks, mandated lenders and develop an understanding of government funding programs
- Develop an understanding of the permitting and public consultation process necessary to construct the plant
- Work collaboratively with the Vice President of Public Affairs to develop strategies to influence the development of public policy, permissions and legislation
- Work collaboratively with Communications to develop and execute regional communications strategies to create a favourable consensus among key project stakeholders for the selection, permitting, planning and operation of Plasco facilities.
- Assist Corporate offices in establishing and building brand equity in defined areas of responsibility
- Develop and be responsible for budgets for all activities within the defined areas of responsibility
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of the relevant public policy, dynamics within local government, influential advocacy groups, and constituent opinion
- Maintain up to date knowledge of competitor activity
- Prepare reports indicating opportunity status, forecasts, etc.
- Represent the company at Business Development and Marketing related activities within the greater business, public, and constituent communities
- Degree in Business, MBA considered an asset
- At least 15 years of related experience within the power industry with demonstrated success in the development and management of projects through to financial close
- Previous knowledge of commercial aspects of development projects
- Exceptional people skills with significant experience in developing and managing relationships with internal and external constituencies
- Must demonstrate mature strategic and critical thinking skills with an emphasis on innovation and creativity
- Ability to convey complex technical and policy issues using language and concepts that are both accurate and understandable to general audiences
- Results oriented with strong bias for action and a high level of energy and enthusiasm
- Customer-centric mindset and able to translate customer issues/needs into win-win solutions
- Excellent organization and problem solving skills, including the ability to efficiently and effectively manage multiple priorities Self-starter who needs little direction and has excellent time management skills
- Must have the desire to travel worldwide without restriction up to 30-50%